There are so many cool things to do with a Macbook air or pro, you won’t be sorry you got one. Sure, while it looks like everyone has a Mac these days, in reality the market share of the apple computers is still relatively small.
But what it doesn’t do in size, it makes up for in quality, and coolness! Let’s take a look at some cool things you can do with your Mac that will improve your experience even further.
Cool things to do on your Mac
1. Turn your photos into wallpapers
The first cool thing to do on Mac is turn your photos into wallpapers, and we’re not just talking about one photo, we’re saying you can turn your entire photo stream into a changeable background of your entire collection. Here’s how:
- Go into your Display and Screen saver settings
- Now select your iCloud photo stream as the library.
- Pick a desired folder on your Mac to choose photos from
PRO TIP – If you prefer to keep the background static, just set your photo stream as the screen saver
2. You can text from your Mac
Did you know you can do that? It’s a first for me! This is such an easy feature to set up I was really surprised many people didn’t know about it. You can send and recieve text messages on your Mac easily. Here’s how to do it:
- You first need to set up your Mac with the same email address as your iMessages is linked too.
- Now open the Settings on your iPhone.
- Now Messages
- Turn on Text Message forwarding
- Click on a phone number from your contacts on Mac and you can send a text message
3. Encrypting folders
Probably one of the coolest things you can do on your Mac in terms of privacy. In recent years the privacy thing has become so popular that many people now decide which device to use or buy based on the privacy options given to them. So apple really took that to a new level, and the ability to encrypt folders, is really cool and unique. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Disk Utility
- Go to File
- Blank Disk Image
- Set a location, name and size
- Choose your encryption method and hit Create
4. Use the Spotlight for things like weather and more
Did you know that the Spotlight search bar on your Mac is very VERY powerful? I bet you didn’t. Now you know you can check things like the weather, so some calculations, definitions and more. Here are just some of the things you can do with the Spotlight search:
- Currency conversions – Just open the Spotlight search and type for example: 1 USD in UK pounds
- Weather report for any place in the world – Just open Spotlight and type: Weather in London
- Definitions – Type in the Spotlight a word you don’t know the defenition of like: melancolnia and see what it does
- Calculator – YES – you don’t always need to use the calculator app, you can type in your calculation in the Spotlight search and get a result, just try it! 2*2=4
5. Create quick notes
From macOS Monterey or newer, you can quickly write notes so you won’t forget what you want. The idea here is that you can quickly jot down what you need without interrupting your flow of work. Here’s how to set this up so one of the hot corners on your screen will turn the quick notes on:
- Go to apple menu
- System Preferences
- Desktop and Screen Saver
- Screen Saver
- Hot Corners
You can also set some quick keys to call your quick note instead of using hot corners, what ever you prefer.
6. Rename multiple files at one go
Back in the old days when everyone was using PC and Windows, you needed to rename your files one by one in order to keep some sort of order. Luckily, with the Mac you can bulk rename files with ease! Here’s how to do it:
- Simply open a folder with the files you want to rename
- Highlight all the files
- Choose from the menu ” Rename X files ”
- When you choose that a popup window will show up where you can insert the name you want
7. Launched pad search
If you have many apps on your Mac and you always find yourself looking for that specific app for minutes, here’s a better solution for you:
- Open the Launch pad
- At the top start typing the name of the app
- It will narrow it down until you find it
PRO TIP – You don’t need to know the entire name to find it, launchpad will most likely recognize what you look for once you hit the first few letters
8. Play Chess against your Mac
This is not really a unique feature of the Mac, but it is pretty cool. Every Mac you buy comes preloaded with a nice game of Chess where you can play against other people or the computer.
To play just do this:
- Open the Launch pad
- Browse to Chess and open it
PRO TIP – You can set the difficulty of the computer by setting how many moves ahead does he play. So if it only plays 1 move ahead, it will be easier to beat
9. Turn on Tap to click
This is a little feature but very cool indeed. Instead of clicking on the mouse pad to choose, you can set to tap it instead. Similar to what you would do on your iPhone. It just makes it more user friendly. Here’s how do set it up:
- Click on apple menu
- System Preferences
- Enable the check box ” Tap to Click ”
10. Quickly trash files
When you quickly need to get rid of some files, you don’t have the energy to drag them to the trash can, or even worse, right click and select trash? What are we, in the 90s?? No no, there is a much better way, do this instead:
- Just highlight the file you want
- Click Command + Delete
PRO TIP – If you want to permanently delete a file without going through the trash bin, click Command + Option + Delete.
Now your MacBook experience has evolved and you can start using these cool trick right away.
Here are a few related guides you might like:
How to delete a sticky note on Mac
I always wanted to know how to get rid of these, here’s how
How long do iMacs last
The answer like a lot of things, is it depends. So let’s read more